Fax: +49 211-518 82-223
Regarded as "an expert in terms and conditions“
Christoph Schmitt professes extensive experience in national and international joint ventures and participation agreements. One interviewee states: "He is very experienced and clients really respect him."
Chambers Europe 2018
"Christoph Schmitt is renowned for his experience in general terms and conditions across a range of domestic and international contracts. His expertise also touches on joint venture and participation agreements. […] Clients applaud his "practical recommendations for complicated contractual relationships.""
Chambers Europe 2017
"Department head Christoph Schmitt has a strong reputation for cross-jurisdictional and national joint ventures and distribution law. One source states: "He is great at tactics and negotiations. He is very good at tackling difficult opponents and we are happy to recommend him."
Chambers Europe 2016
"Christoph Schmitt is a noted commercial lawyer who has published widely on the subject. Clients report that "he is a quick thinker, has great ideas and is easy to communicate with."
Chambers Europe 2015
Christoph Schmitt has been advising national and international clients in the areas of commercial and corporate law as well as employment law for more than two decades. He is a nationally recognized expert and highly recommended throughout Europe by Chambers for national and international business contract law, in particular in drafting and negotiating company ( M&A) purchase agreements, topics related to general terms and conditions and distribution law. He is specialized in corporate law and advises companies in the fields of corporate structuring, shareholder disputes as well as mergers and acquisitions. Christoph Schmitt regularly gives seminars at well-known seminar organizers (e.g. Beck Akademie, Forum Institut für Management, Otto Schmidt Verlag) in national and international contract law matters and he trains in-house counsels and lawyers. Moreover, Christoph Schmitt is the author of various specialist books and publications.
Chambers Europe highly recommended Christoph Schmitt as a leading lawyer in Commercial Contracts:
Global Law Experts recommended exclusively Christoph Schmitt as an expert in International Contract Law and Franchise law:
Global Law Expert: International Contract Law Germany
ICLG Franchise 2018 Germany: A practical cross-border insight into franchise law - Author: Christoph Schmitt
Download the Chapter
- Legal advice on company law matters, in particular relating to shareholder disputes
- Commercial law, in particular advising on the optimised structuring of distribution systems, drafting, reviewing and negotiating national and international business contracts, incl standard terms and conditions; ongoing advice and support in drafting Project and joint venture contracts, framework arrangements, collaborations and confidentiality agreements as well as General Terms and Conditions
- Distribution law, in particular drafting, reviewing and negotiating distri-bution contracts, agency and distributor agreements both within the Federal Republic and internationally
- Law relating to standard terms and conditions, in particular drafting and reviewing general conditions of sale and purchase, standard contracts and preformulated terms; other contractual clauses, also reviewing and drafting contracts in relation to general conditions of business and use in E-Commerce
- Joint ventures, in particular advising on and drafting joint venture ag-reements within the Federal Republic and internationally
- Trade law and company law, in particular advising on structural issues, advising and litigating on any commercial issues, drafting company constitutional documents and advising on disputes with shareholders; advising directors and Boards on how to avoid liability; drafting shareholder agreements
- Employment law, in particular advising on all issues pertaining to indi-viduals and industrial relations including proceedings involving termi-nation of contract
- Intellectual property, in particular competition advice on advertising concepts and defending the company’s position; advising on the pro-tection of know-how and dealing with thefts of know-how
- Litigation, in particular commercial contracts, intellectual property and employment law.
- contract design and contract negotiations
- China Desk, Head of China Desk
- Advising on structural issues, drafting contracts for German/Chinese joint ventures
- Advising Chinese companies on the European market entry and the acquisition of companies and participations
- Advising European companies on settlement, distribution and joint ventures in China
- Construction of franchise systems
- Drafting, representation and implementation of franchise contracts
- Contractual advice and support for franchisee and franchiser
- Judicial enforcement of rights arising from franchise agreements
- Member of the Deutsche Vereinigung für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V. (GRUR)
- Member DCW Deutsch-Chinesische Wirtschaftsvereinigung e.V.
- Member of the Board of Unternehmer-Motorradclub Rhein-Ruhr e.V.
- Author of publication "Practical Law's Cross-border contracts and boilerplate clauses (Germany)", Thomson Reuters 2017
- Getting the Deal Through: Commercial Contracts 2016
- Editor of the work „Allgemeine Verkaufs- und Lieferbedingungen (B2B)“ (De Gruyter)
- Editor of the work „Praxishandbuch Gestaltung von Wirtschaftsverträgen“ (De Gruyter)
- Author of the work "AGB-Anwaltskommentar" (Deutscher Anwaltsverlag)
- Author of the work "Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen und Verträge für Unternehmen" (Springer Verlag)
- Author of the work "Regelungsfallen in Wirtschaftsverträgen"
- Author of the work "Projektverträge im Anlagenbau" (Springerverlag beginning 2013)
- AGB Fallstricke in Handelsvertreterverträgen (H&V JOURNAL)
- OLG Düsseldorf: Zulässiger Werbeanruf bei Gewerbetreibenden (CR Computer und Recht)
- Differenzierungsklausel - kein Exklusivrecht für Gewerkschafter, "zweifelhafte Klauseln der Gewerkschaften" (Börsen-Zeitung)
- Studied German law at Universität Köln
- 1993 – took the Deutsche Anwaltsinstitut’s course to become a Fachanwalt in Employment Law
- 1990 - 1992 Company adviser
- 1992 - 1993 Kübler & Rogier, Rechtsanwälte
- 1993 Weber & Sauberschwarz, Rechtsanwälte
- 1993 - 1999 Rechtsanwälte Herzog Meyer Will (Partner since 1996)
- 1999 onwards - Hoffmann Liebs Fritsch & Partner Rechtsanwälte mbB (Partner since 1999)
established expert for FORUM Institut für Management, Beck Akademie and Management Circle on contractual and commercial legal topics (incl. standard terms and conditions; drafting national and international contracts; supply agreements; collaboration agreements)